Wednesday, August 19, 2009

You’ll get the government you deserve - by Linda Nuzum

CPN’s upcoming election will choose our city’s leaders for the next four years. What kind of government will that be? The government we deserve! CPN citizens, it’s time to step up and get involved.

Listening to folks around town, I hear some rumblings and questions about some of the actions our city has taken. But talking with your neighbors won’t solve anything – the only way to fix things is to speak up. Sure, you’re busy (work, kids, whatever), so it’s easier to assume that someone else will do it. And frankly, some city officials would prefer that you stay apathetic and stay home.

Unfortunately, some of our city officials are prone to view any questions about their performance as a “personal attack” or being “against the city.” But this isn’t Iran. In our democracy, it’s quite possible to voice divergent views and still be considered a patriot. In fact, healthy debate leads to better decisions.

I truly appreciate all of the hard work that our city officials have put in this past year, and they have accomplished a lot to get the city up and running. But let’s hope the next phase of our city’s history will be marked by TRUE citizen involvement.

To accomplish that, we need two things:

1) city officials who will truly communicate the implications of what they are working on, and

2) citizens who will get involved.

What can the city do?
The city sends us an Annual Report, a monthly newsletter and periodic emails, and uses a website, Twitter and RSS feeds. But do they use these tools to tell you what YOU really want to know? Consider a few examples:

Did you know the city planned to adopt the fireworks ban? We got a flurry of emails a few days before July 4th saying that all fireworks are banned in CPN, but what did they tell us BEFORE they voted? Nothing. In fact, the word “fireworks” was never mentioned in any city documents leading up to the decision. The whole topic was buried in an agenda item about adopting international building codes, and the only notice of the public hearing was in the “legal notices” section of the Castle Rock News-Press.

Have you noticed new “city franchise fees” on some of your utility bills? The city adopted these new fees earlier this year. Did you get any notice from the city? Nope. (Hey, at least on this topic, you could have figured it out if you read the minutes.)

What is the city’s true financial condition? Some of our city councilmen have been asking this question since the day they were sworn in, but even they had trouble getting an answer. Finally, a few months ago, the city council voted to change how financial information is reported, and some financial statements are now available on the city’s website. Did the city inform you of any of this? Nope, you just have to be watching the website. Is this the “transparency” we were expecting?

Did you know that candidates for the upcoming election need to have their petitions filed by August 24? The City published a web page about the upcoming election on June 4, but more than a month later, the topic still hadn’t been covered in the city’s newsletter or email alerts.

What can YOU do?
The best way to get responsive government is to have active citizens. You can:
Run for office. All city officials are up for election this fall – Mayor, Treasurer, Clerk, and all 6 city council seats. I think some of the incumbents have done a great job and hope they run again, but mixing in some new blood is always a good idea.

Get involved. Campaign for good candidates. Go to a meeting – and speak up! Join a committee. And it’s not just the City – also pay attention to the other CPN organizations that still control much of what is done in CPN – the Metro District, Master Association, and Parks Authority.

So, step up, do something! I was active in CPN for several years; it was rewarding and I still have people come up to me and thank me for some thing that I did while in office. I’ve done my turn, now it’s your turn! Figure out something you can do – big or small – to make our community a better place.

Linda Nuzum

16 comments:

  1. I am so incredibly disappointed in this Linda. You come to meetings, on ocassion, and speak about the wonderful job the elected officials are doing. You send us congratulatory emails. Then you take this pot shot. Linda, when was the last time the county commissioners asked for your input - or reported on their votes? When was the last time the metro district, or master, or state representative did? To infer that the "City" did anything out of the ordinary by way of franchise fees, firework bans, or otherwise, is just plan silly - as well as trying to stir the pot.
    Come to the meetings folks. Don't sit back, NOT participate in the debate, and then bitch about the outcome.
    I suspect that this letter was INTENDED to be a rallying cry for involvement. Unfortunately, it came across, to me, like sour grapes.
    Yes, you get the government you deserve. So I suggest people start being involved ALL THE TIME, not just being Monday morning quarterbacks. I believe the government that you have received, so far, is BETTER than some of you deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve been to a couple of meetings before and after we became a city. I asked questions and was made to fee cynical just for asking. I’ve seen the way our city council makes it very uncomfortable for any to express their opinions or ask questions. If the question happens to be about methods or reasoning behind actions of the council they immediately become defensive and almost hostile. Sort of like Councilman Cappola’s comment here – who wouldn’t be tentative to speak up? Linda is right – this isn’t Iran but it does feel like a dictatorship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have taken an application and plan to run for Ward 3 City Council to ensure that going forward we can have a truly community driven government rather than one driven by the unfocused whims of a few people in power. I hope you will relay this to your email list as I was not included in this original email.
    It is the responsibility of the local city council person to take the majority message of the ward back to the voting table regardless of his or her personal opinion that is what representation is all about.
    I plan to work closely with groups, families and individuals in my Ward to listen and understand their opinions, needs and desires as well as to hold frequent open forums where Ward 3 homeowners may come to express their opinions on upcoming topics of discussion and votes. Within Ward 3 right now there is a sharp divide on issues. One issue that recently arose was the lack of posting of city meeting times. This one is easy; with me there would never be a meeting that would occur with less than 48 hours notice to the public posted both at the community center and online. There have been questions about payback of money to the Master Association of a sum of money close to $200,000. While, the reason the original talks were to be held in private were due to a request from the City Attorney, I would have had an open forum up front to explain exactly what was happening, why the talks, if at all, were going behind closed doors, and what people could expect to hear when the issue was resolved.
    All in all, I can offer you honesty, level-headedness and the assurance that I will always bring to the voting table the majority vote for the people of Ward 3. We will come together as a community; discuss how we feel about the best direction for our growth and the act in that manner.
    As I have been out meeting with folks in our neighborhood I am hearing people indicate this is how they feel and am excited to meet more people and learn how we can welcome them into this process as well.
    I could not agree more with Ms. Nuzum, that we get the government we deserve, and I hope Ward 3 and I can have a mutually beneficial relationship as I represent them in a coming term as their City Council Member.
    Thank you for your consideration,
    Tori Willis
    toriwillis@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Except she couldn't get her petition in on time...how telling.
    As for Ms Nuzum - she should be careful who she throws shots at, people in glass houses...
    Looks like City Council for next year is decided (except for Mayor) - where are all those complainers? Couldn't get 25 signatures?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish Tori had run, but I do understand the reasoning behind her decision. I am thrilled with the slate. It is not all one side or the other. There will be discourse - which will be healthy. I hope Maureen will have the strong victory she deserves. That will, in my opinion, send the message to within and outside CPN that we can move forward as a community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally speaking, I will not respond or comment to "anonymous" or pseudonyms. Have the courage of your convictions and the audacity to put your name with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Might I ask who the administrators are for this blog? I find it interesting that my comments were deleted from view. I did not use profanity; I was not vulgar. I stated my opinion on the performance (or, rather, lack thereof) I've seen from current city officials. Do you not wish to hear the opinions of your constituents, whether they agree with you or not?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good question. I thought the comments were fine - I just would have liked you (and all anonymous bloggers) to say who you are. I am not sure but I believe that either Dan or Stacey might be the administrators.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The comments came in before I had a chance to post the blog that corresponded to the email blast you were commenting on – I simply moved your exact comments to the appropriate blog. You will find them under Neighborhood Buzz. Sorry for the confusion – comments will always be freely allowed on this blog. You are welcome to comment anonymously or otherwise – whatever you feel comfortable with.

    Stacie Sneider

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can reach the blog administrators directly at cpnhomeowners@gmail.com for any questions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just so yu know, soe of us still have the blog enters that you deleted. That is hardly transparent! For those that do not understand:

    As we are probably the only ones reading this at this second do you mind if I remove your post that came in at 12:34?

    ReplyDelete
  13. As it was a misunderstanding we were actually asked to remove the post by the poster.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am the "Poster" who was part of the mixup. To clear up the confusion, I had posted 2 comments here on this blog post. Unbeknown to me, the blog administrator was in the process of posting a new article, and felt that my comments were more related to her new article, so she MOVED my original comments to the new post ("Neighborhood Buzz"). I was unaware that she moved my comments...all I saw was that my comments were suddenly "gone" from this post. I assumed that my comments had been censored and deleted altogether, and I wrote another post declaring how disappointed I was at feeling "censored". Once the administrator posted an explanation, I gave her permission to remove my final post (she said "Since we're probably the only 2 people reading this blog right now, would you mind if I removed your last post?"...I said "Go for it!" after realizing I had made a wrong assumption).

    To be clear, my comments were NOT censored, they are posted at the other article. My comments are relevant to both articles, so I don't mind that they were moved (perhaps the administrator could have explained it ahead of time to avoid the confusion. Regardless, I appreciate having the opportunity to express my thoughts on this forum).

    ReplyDelete
  15. One final post from me: Chip - I prefer to remain anonymous because I am embarrassed to say that I actually voted for (most of) the city officials that are currently in office...yourself included (I'm in your Ward). I supported incorporation of the city based on 2 things: (1) the report from CH2M Hill, and (2) the idea of having American Academy located here in CPN (my children attend). It has come to light that the report from CH2M Hill was largely inaccurate, and that was an egregious error which has led to the financial demise of our city. I am incredibly disappointed that not one of our city officials has yet to admit any of this, they refuse to hold CH2M Hill accountable, they refuse to pay back the Master Association, and they continue to drink the "look how great CPN is doing" kool-aide. We cannot afford to be a city. And if annexing The Canyons (at double the amount of proposed homes than was originally approved by the county) and changing to "Home Rule" is the only way we can afford it, then I say UNINCORPORATE...I can only pray that will make it to the ballot for consideration by voters. At the very least, I will vote for candidates that oppose dissolution of the Metro District. And, yes...I will continue to do so anonymously (why invite upon myself and my family such targeted vehemence from our council members who don't like to hear opposing views?).

    ReplyDelete
  16. And once again, if you do not feel strongly enough to speak publicly, I will not correct the numerous misstatements. Wish we could have a dialog - y0u see - you know who YOU are speaking with....

    ReplyDelete